Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Whew!

Talk about a busy winter! Can we even call this winter in Alabama with daytime temps hovering around 60 degrees? You won't hear me complaining about that! :) I'm loving it!

So I guess by now you've figured out that I've been absent from the blog (at least in appearance) since my last post? I do apologize for that! To be honest, I've been struggling with creating a unique background and business logo through Blogger. I pretty much know how I want the blog graphics to look, but getting that info from my brain to the computer screen isn't an easy process. What I'm going for is an artsy-craftsy feel with fun projects and tutorials...since it is, primarily, a craft blog. Since I've named the blog after my two silly dogs, I wanted to include them in the process somehow. I have yet to be thrilled with the results so I shall continue working on it as time allows until I'm satisfied with it. Being a perfectionist is hard work! :)

I promised you the recipe many moons ago for Island Jam, so without further ado, here it is!




Island Jam (with bananas)

3 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 6 medium)
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup diced orange pulp
1/2 cup dried coconut
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or half lemon, half lime juice)
1 box powdered pectin
1 teaspoon EVER-FRESH or Fruit Fresh Fruit Protector (optional, but highly recommended)
6 cups sugar
2 tablespoons light or dark rum


Mix bananas, pineapple, orange, coconut, lemon juice, Ever-Fresh or Fresh Fruit Protector, and pectin in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add sugar and bring back to rolling boil, boiling hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add rum and skim off foam.

Ladle into prepared half-pint jars, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.


(I added a little additional coconut to each jar before I added the cooked jam) :)

Island Jam II (without bananas)

2 cups crushed pineapple drained
1 very ripe pear (peeled, seeded, and finely chopped)
1 teaspoon EVER-FRESH or Fruit Fresh Fruit Protector (optional, but highly recommended)
1/2 cup dried coconut
1 cup diced orange pulp
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or half lemon, half lime juice)
3/4 cup coconut milk
6 cups sugar (or a little less if you want a more tart jam)
2 tablespoons light or dark rum

Follow the same cooking directions as posted above.



Final product! :) The jam pictured was made with the second recipe because I didn't have any bananas on hand at the time. Island Jam is deliciously fruity with a slight tartness I think you'll love. It really does remind me of summer and the fam loved it with their Christmas gifts. :)

Enjoy!!!

More yummy jam recipes coming soon...

saluu,
Susan


Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

We dig hearing from you! Comments are moderated so they may not appear right away. Linking your store or product in the comment section just isn't groovy (and won't appear). If you want to advertise, we have some rockin' sponsor space on the cheap. Mean or disruptive comments isn't our bag either baby and won't fly here. Peace & thank you!