Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring has sprung!

The time has finally arrived to get those seeds started for the Spring crop of veggies! This just so happens to be my favorite time of year with the arrival of crocus & daffodils nudging out the cold. When we were living in South Dakota, the crocus were always the first to peek through the late winter snow reassuring us that Spring had arrived!


Here in Alabama this year, I think we had 2 full days of chilly weather and that was it! Though skipping most of winter is nice, it unfortunately means we're probably going to have an active tornado season. Nearly a year ago on April 27th, 2011, several states, including Alabama, were hit hard with a series deadly tornadoes. That day hoping (& praying!) that we would be safe from the storms, my son, the Fred's, and I spent that day holed up in the hallway of our home. We were fortunate and escaped harm, but sadly many folks did not. Still nearly a year later, many areas here remain devastated and look just as they did when the tornadoes hit.

Now our new year has begun with renewed hope that this year will be better than the last. Folks are recovering and rebuilding their lives one day at a time. Difficult lessons were learned as ~many~ of us realized just how unprepared and vulnerable we were. For many folks, this new year is all about preparedness and regaining control of their lives. A renewed movement toward sustainability and self-reliance has taken hold and folks are running with it! I know that for our small family we are researching, learning, and moving forward.

This last month, I've been pouring through seed catalogs and making a list of all the seed & plants we need to get started. I found a great deal at Lowes on some nice, STURDY grapes vines. I can't wait to get them in the ground! :) This year I've also decided to try something different by planting a couple of Paw Paw trees and a Chocolate Vine! I mean, what could possibly be better than a CHOCOLATE VINE for crying out loud!?! haha...There's a couple "new" veggies I'm itching to try too. Purple potatoes seem to be all the rage this year and of course, this chickie is going to have to try these. Artichokes are new on the list too...LOVE them! Honestly, I'm not real sure how I'm going to feel about eating a purple potato, and I seriously doubt the boys will touch them with a ten foot pole. We shall see... :)

This year, instead of buying those aggravating little peat pots to start seed in, I'm making little newspaper pots. I borrowed the idea from here. These little guys are a cinch to make and work great!




Honeyman tilled the garden while I was at mom's today (thanks babe!) so I believe it's time for me to get cracking!



saluu,










No comments:

Post a Comment

We dig hearing from you! Comments are moderated so they may not appear right away. Linking your store or product in the comment section just isn't groovy (and won't appear). If you want to advertise, we have some rockin' sponsor space on the cheap. Mean or disruptive comments isn't our bag either baby and won't fly here. Peace & thank you!